Saturday, January 12, 2008

Trains, planes, and a tuk tuk

We're here! Bangkok is as wonderful and chaotic as I remember it. Unfortunately my brain power is working at about two per cent capacity because I've had about 5 hours sleep in the last 46 hours, so apologies for the short post and lack of wit. For the first time ever I actually slept more than 20 minutes on the flight thanks to Tan and her drug trafficking -- she actually mailed me a couple of sleeping pills before she left.

My trip here was great. I'm really impressed with Cathay Pacific and the only item of note was sitting next to a four-foot-nothing Chinese woman on the flight from Hong Kong who belched like a linebacker the whole way, without any shame. She also offered me some sort of candy, which I took. It tasted like a combination of dirt and fungus so I'm guessing that's not what it was.

After meeting up at our hotel we went for a wander which mostly involved trying to cross the street without getting mowed down. We had a harrowing ride in a tuk tuk (is there any other kind?) to a super posh hotel for lunch and had the most fantastic salad and probably the only glass of red wine I'll have this whole trip. We also met up with our tour leader Simon who is quite funny and sweet though I have to restrain my inner English teacher and not correct his grammar.

Tomorrow we start the sight seeing in full. Until later,
Tonya

1 comment:

calvin said...

glad to hear that you made it one piece my love. thanks for your phone mesage too. glad to hear that you had some charming company on the way i mean how could you resist fungus candy and loud belching.

things are pretty darn quiet around here with outm you my little tai peach but i am getting into it and doing lots of reading and being.

i am going kayaking as soon as i finish this comment. the weather is pretty good today and it's not windy except for a gentle breeze coming in from the east.

give my love to everyone there and have a great time my love. looking forward to your next installment.

cxoxoxo