Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A breath of fresh air ... literally.






Bangkok is nice to visit but it's even nicer when you leave. We arrived in Chiang Mai and for the first time since arriving in Thailand, breathed relatively clean air and felt the sun on our faces. What a joy.

We stopped for lunch at a 'local' eatery, which I think freaked Mom and Tan out at first. (Kimbo has the attitude of "if Ton will eat it, I will.") We had a great lunch for about four bucks -- total -- and I was very proud of Tan when she used the bathroom there. A personal accomplishment for her, though still has yet to attempt the squat.

We went directly up to Wat Suthep, which is a highly revered, 700-year-old temple on the mountain top. It was stunning ... I don't know if it was the fresh air or serene environment but the afternoon included multiple giggle fits and one of Tan's famous mixed metaphors; "That beats the cake."



After the temple we went on a little excursion to a "handicraft centre" (read: tourist sucker trap) and gem shop which was a little annoying ... GAP adventures will probably hear from me on that one. Still, it wasn't a wasted trip as Kimbo managed to still buy some jewellery. God.

That was Monday. Tuesday was a VERY tough day. We started with a Thai cooking class, and then 2 hours at the spa. The cooking class was very fun and we learned four dishes, none of which I'll probably cook at home because the ingredients consisted of things like "root of green lemon" or "gangalon" or "stone mushroom." Still, the food was awesome and no one managed to set anything on fire or cut a finger off. Of the four of us, some of us are cooks, some of us are not. I'll leave you to decide who is who.

The spa experience was fantastic! I had a sauna, body wrap, and massage done by a lovely middle-aged thai woman with strong hands. The massage included, surprisingly, a buttock and breast massage. This was not entirely unwelcome since I haven't had a breast massage since at least Thursday (I miss you honey.)

Tomorrow we say goodbye to Chiang Mai as we're off to the elephant sanctuary in Lampang.

Tonya

PS I have pictures to upload for these last posts, but having trouble on internet cafe PCs. Check older posts for photos in the next few days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A breast and butt massage… I would have liked to have been in the room to watch that. Hell I would have liked to be the one giving it to you. We most definately have to go together at some point in our lives :-)

I love your blog honey… very funny, very well written. You're awesome. baby. I miss you my little golden Thai goddess. Hope you have fun with the elephants.

Stay well my love, miss you, love you.

cxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

If you like cooking Thai food try this website. A bunch of Thai cooking videos with ingredients and everything. A pretty good way to learn to cook Thai recipes
www.thaifoodtonight.com