Monday, January 7, 2008

About the motley crew of travellers.

In order to fully appreciate the complexity of these four women travelling together, it's relevant to post a bit of background info to understand who we are.

Mom.
Lives in:
Lethbridge
Turning 65 in 2008 and no doubt tired of living vicariously through her children.
Travel experience. Minimal. Bringing matching jammies for all of us and her own stash of instant coffee.
Most memorable pre-departure quote: “Can I get the Thai money there or do I need to bring my own?”

Sister-in-law Tan.
Lives in: Calgary
Travel experience. Extensive. Usually travels with personal driver, valet, hairdresser, luggage porter, and way too many pairs of shoes.
Most memorable pre-departure quote: “I simple CAN’T stay in anything less than three star.”

Sister Kimbo.
Lives in: Halifax.
Travel experience. Minimal, with the exception of six trips to Disneyland, mostly after the age of 18. Travels with Mickey Mouse suitcase and most likely to pack multiple pieces of clothing with “Canada” emblazoned across the chest.
Most memorable pre-departure quote: “Ton, can you show me how to use a squat toilet?”

Me, the blogger.
Lives in
: Vancouver.
Travel experience. Extensive. Have lived abroad twice and visited almost 30 countries. Usually travels with nothing more than a hanky and dental floss.

Most memorable pre-departure quote: “Who do you think I am? I have NEVER stayed in a cockroach infested hotel! Well, maybe once, but the cockroaches were really friendly.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've summed everyone up perfectly. Looking forward to reading about your adventure. Good luck... you'll need it.

B

Tanya said...

Reading this over a decade later and still laughing and enjoying the memories. I think you summed everyone up well - except I STILL insist that I NEVER SAID that I cannot possibly stay in anything “less that a 3 star”. I know myself well - I would have said 4 star. Also, I do not, and have not ever travelled with a personal hair dresser - but am working on that!!!!

We need another family vacation!